We recently had the chance to chat with singer Titus Makin about getting his start in the entertainment industry, his new single “Suicide”, ABC’s “The Rookie”, and more!
- How did you get your start in the entertainment industry?
As a senior in high school I decided to audition for the New York conservatory for dramatic arts. After getting accepted it really thrust me into the professional pursuit of my music and acting.
- What was your first project?
My first music project was a song I wrote in high school called “take a breath” that ended up being popular and placed on everybody’s MySpace account. LOL. my first acting project was a small dance roll I had on Nickelodeon’s “Victorious” many years ago.
- What was the inspiration behind your new single ‘Suicide’?
The inspiration was taken from people going through relationships that are absolutely wrong for them, where they put all their energy and time into it and it physically feels like it’s killing them as they try to work the relationship out
4. What was the recording process like?
Recording process was extremely fun. We typically start with a stripped guitar melody and build it from there.
- What was your favorite scene of the music video to film?
My favorite scenes were the hallway shots with the blue and red lights. It felt extremely moody and artistic.
- What has the fan reaction been like to the song?
People have loved this song realizing it’s a little more dark compared to my other releases but appreciating the artistry involved. A lot of people have shared their hearts with me that have experienced relationships like this or loved ones who have committed suicide due to bullying or poisonous relationships.
- Why do you think the song has done so well?
There was just a lot of heart and soul and time put into it to make sure we were sending a relatable message and visual.
- Can you tell us about your upcoming role in ABC’s “The Rookie”?
I play Officer Jackson West. He’s the youngest rookie cop of the group whose dad is commanding officer of internal affairs. He was raised in it and fully expect it to be a cop. so now it’s his time to shine but he runs into some issues when things are actually happening in front of his eyes and not reading them in a textbook.
- What is the show about?
It’s about John Nolan (Nathan Fillion), a forty-year-old man, who moves to Los Angeles to pursue his dream of being a police officer for the Los Angeles Police Department. He has to figure out the world of a “young” cop, determined to make his second shot at life count.
- What is something that most people wouldn’t know about the show?
That a lot of the stands are real. And we’re excited for you all to see them.
- What do you enjoy doing when you’re not working?
Writing more music honestly.
- Do you have any other upcoming projects that you’d like to share with us?
– you can check my character Caleb Matthews out on Hulu’s The Path.” The season finale is coming up and you can stream the entire season right now.
- What are your social media accounts?
Instagram, Twitter, & Facebook – @titusmakin
Subscribe to see more of Titus on our channel!
Check out Titus’ music video for his single “Suicide” below!