1. How did you get your start in the entertainment industry?
I always loved performing, but it wasn’t until I started doing improv that I felt like I could really pursue this as a career. I started performing in sketch comedy and improv shows in New York on the weekends while I was in college, and I ended up making great connections and learning a lot through that.
2. What can you tell us about your short film “Woke Carolers”?
Woke Carolers is a holiday film about two Christmas Carolers who want to make everyone feel included and accepted, but genuinely don’t know how and kind of blunder through their attempts. It’s really goofy and fun, and there’s some singing.
3. How would you describe your character?
My character— Beth, is enthusiastic and well-intentioned, but also sheltered and a bit unaware of the world around her. She’s a lot of fun to play because she has total confidence in everything she does and says, even when she has absolutely no idea what she’s doing!
4. How is this project different from those you’ve previously worked on?
This was one of my first film projects, which was really exciting! I had mostly done live performance before this, so it was a lot of fun getting to work with a new medium.
5. What was it like getting to work with such an esteemed cast and crew?
It’s always so great getting to work with people you admire and can learn from! I was really lucky because I was close friends with my costars, so there was a huge level of comfortability on set.
6. What is a behind-the-scenes secret you can share with us?
We got to do a lot of improv on set! My costar, Kate Kesselman and I both trained at the Upright Citizens Brigade so we had a great time getting to play around and add things while filming.
7. What do you think makes your web series stand out from others?
I think the concept is unique— my character runs a hotline called the “Mind F*ck Hotline”, and she gives callers fun facts that blow their minds. It’s kind of a send up of phone sex hotlines, but it’s also a lot of fun because my character is really smart and the callers genuinely love learning.
8. Are you currently working on any projects you can share with us?
I have two upcoming movies! Syzygy, which was produced by New Media Comedy and directed by Jim Mendrinos, and The Last White Man, which is a dark satire/psychological thriller directed by Mark Mazzeo. They both should be out in the next year!
9. What are your social media accounts?
@mayadanz on Instagram and Twitter.
Subscribe to see more of Maya on our channel!