Interview with Kara Royster! (@KaraRoyster)
1. How did you get your start in the entertainment industry?I moved to Los Angeles from my hometown of West Palm Beach, FL at the age of 15. While in Florida, I attended an arts middle school and high school where I was trained in theatre. I then moved out to LA to attend LACHSA, also a high school for the arts. Shortly after I signed with a manager and an agent and then began working in the industry. My first role was on Nickelodeon’s “Bucket and Skinner”, and the rest is history.
2. Can you tell us about your character on Pretty Little Liars?
Yvonne Phillips is a poised and strong woman, who is the daughter of a politician. She is the new and serious girlfriend of Toby, the ex boyfriend of Spencer. Yvonne must learn to deal with the repercussions of Spencer being back in town after being away for 5 years.
3. What was your favorite episode to film?
My favorite episode to film was the very first one. I feel that they introduced my character in a new and interesting way. Instead of portraying her as a mean and controlling person, she was shown to be confident and kind. Also, in that first episode I had the opportunity to be in a scene with almost all of the leads of the show, so it was such a fun experience meeting everyone.
4. Can you tell us about your character on K.C Undercover?
On K.C Undercover I play Abby Martin, K.C’s long lost cousin. The character is first introduced as a smart Howard University student who has lost both of her parents. She arrives at K.C’s house appearing to want to form a relationship with her and her mom Kira, who is Abby”s mom’s sister. However you later learn of her true intentions, that both her parents, played by Jasmine Guy and Rick Fox, are not only alive but the leaders of the Other Side, an evil spy organization. So K.C and her spy family must work to take us down.
5. What is it like getting to work with Zendaya and the rest of the amazing cast?
I had such a blast working on the K.C Undercover set, they truly are a family and love working together. Working with Zendaya was amazing, she was so welcoming and a lot of fun to be around. To see someone at her age doing everything, while being the producer of her own show is incredibly inspiring. The whole cast and crew are so amazingly talented and kind and that translates to the work.
6. What is your favorite part about playing the character?
I love absolutely loved playing both sides of Abby, the fake, sweet, kind Abby and the evil sassy Abby. Also being able to play a spy and learning to do some of my own stunts was such an amazing experience.
7. What do you guys do for fun when you’re not filming?
When we’re not filming we are usually hanging out on set talking and laughing. There’s an ice breaker game I like to play on set where everyone thinks of one simple pleasure and one pet peeve and we all bond over it, it’s a lot of fun.
8. Do you have any fun summer plans?
I’m excited to hit the beach with some friends and maybe do a little bit of traveling with my family. Ultimately, I hope I get to work on some other project soon!
9. Do you have any other upcoming projects?
Yes! Mono the movie comes out on July 8th, it is a hilarious coming of age movie and I play Christina Madison, the queen bee of the school. I also have, Before You Say I Do, a movie which is coming out soon on Pixl.
10. What are your social media accounts where your fans can stay connected with you?
I am kararoyster on Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat!