Interview With “Own The Night” Singer Samantha LaPorta! (@SamanthaLaPorta)
We had the opportunity to chat with Samantha LaPorta about getting her start in the industry, releasing her single “Own The Night,” and more!
1. How did you get your start in the music industry?
I attended my 1st concert when I was 10 and right after, I told my parents “this is what I want to do.” I started vocal and guitar lessons and a year later, I had my first showcase at the HardRock in Nashville. Then I started posting video and playing everywhere I could and it grew from there.
2. What inspired your latest single “Own The Night?”
Songs come from the strangest places. While I was laying down vocals in a studio in LA, I started feeling a little homesick. I missed my friends back home and thought about how much fun we would have when I got back. I could picture it, driving to the beach, windows down, hair blowing in the wind, music playing… It made me feel so good, I wrote THAT song and Own The Night became a fun summer anthem.
3. Why do you think it is important for children and other people to know that their value has nothing to do with social media followers and likes?
I’m not saying, hey, I think we need a phone intervention here, but don’t you think its better to go out and have real experiences with real friends then hanging with your phone counting and waiting for likes?
4. Did you ever have that struggle with navigating the social media world?
Oh sure, as an artist, I should post daily, throughout the day. It’s a distraction! I would love to hand it over to someone else but can’t see myself hiring someone to create fake content and captions so it seems like I’m living some cool life. I’d rather go out, have fun and if I happen to capture that moment, I’ll post it. Recently, I was at a photo session for my new music so I posted pics from the set.
5. What are your favorite lyrics from the song?
“We are free to own the night.” I love the energy of summertime and being with friends…
6. What has the fan reaction been like to the song?
Crazy good! I hear from fans every day and I love getting videos, pics, and positive comments. Some come to my shows and sing every word of the song which is pretty amazing.
7. Where can fans listen or purchase the song?
My music is available everywhere music is streamed and sold. I like to reach out to the Spotify fans who follow me and fans who leave reviews on ITunes and Amazon and google music.
8. What do you enjoy doing when you’re not singing?
I travel a lot so anytime I’m not working, I love chilling with my friends.
9. What was the most fun thing you did this summer?
Being invited to the red carpet at the Radio Disney Music Awards was a blast! I met so many artists, actors and Disney fans. It was definitely the highlight of my summer.
10. Do you have any back-to-school advice?
My friend just threw a party with a “Risky Business” theme. It was so much fun and a great way to end the summer! Connect with friends before school starts and pay extra attention to friends heading to college.
11. Are you currently working on any other projects you can share with us?
Yes, I’m getting ready to launch new songs this year. Each has its own unique vibe. I’m so excited to share. Real soon, I promise!
12. What are your social media accounts?
My official website is http://samanthalaporta.com/ . Find me on Twitter @samanthalaporta and Instagram @samanthalaportaa
Check out the lyric video for “Own The Night” below!
Subscribe to see more of Samantha on our channel!